Strawberry Ice at Rakuzen
We decided on a Japanese dinner for Valentine's, which in hindsight was a great choice because it's hard to eat steak with a broken arm!
You can usually count on Japanese set meals to be beautifully arranged, and Rakuzen's were no exception. Their sushi and sashimi sets looked tantalizing. We opted to keep it simple, though - I ordered the tencha set (tempura on rice with soup poured over it), John ordered several yakitori dishes, and we both had maguro sushi and tekka maki as appetizers.
The sushi was good, although the yakitori was bland.
My favorite part of the meal is... dessert. We ordered Strawberry Ice, which is a trio of frozen strawberries filled with something that tasted like vanilla-marshmallow pudding.
We chose Rakuzen because it's at Millenia Walk, about 15 minutes from City Hall MRT. Getting a cab is a nightmare on Valentine's day, so John and I met at the MRT station. He surprised me by showing up in his barong - an amazing feat for a guy in a cast. I was very impressed.
Information and Contact Details
- Address: Millenia Walk #01-14, 9 Raffles Boulevard, (S) 039596
- Phone: +65 6333 1171
- It's said to be affiliated with Sushi Tei
- "Rakuzen flies in fresh fish from Japan every Tuesday and Friday" - AsiaOne
- "The best endamame (sic) I have tasted" - Singapore food choices, Lah!
- A poor review at Makansutra's Food! Food! Food! forum
post this to del.icio.us